Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important Rules. We may change these Rules at any time; the Rules posted at the time of your use of the Site will apply. Please check back here from time to time to review any updates. If you have questions, contact the member services department. In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
The Community Rules
Discussion Group Etiquette
- Don't challenge or attack others. The discussions and comments are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Don't post commercial messages on any discussion list, resource library entry, or other area where others might see it. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the lists and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted.
- Remember that other participants have the right to reproduce postings to this site unless you specify otherwise.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate lists or libraries. Do not spam several lists or libraries with the same message.
All messages must add to the body of knowledge. We reserve the right to reject any message for any reason.
Specific Prohibited Conduct.
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, location; do not create a false identity or impersonate any person.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link to the left of every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing e-mail addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new e-mail address. Simply change your settings.
- Warn other list subscribers of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a line that says "Long Message."
You agree that you will not:
The Site Use Rules
- Create any posts, user names, or subject lines containing profanity, sexually graphic or offensive language, including any uses of characters such as \@#$% to replace letters;
- Post or transmit any content or message that is false, inaccurate, misleading, disruptive, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, pornographic, vulgar, racist or otherwise objectionable;
- Engage in rude, unlawful, harassing, vulgar, obscene, hateful, threatening, abusive or otherwise objectionable behavior; all such behavior may be reported to the authorities;
- Use the Site or Materials for any unlawful purpose or in any manner not intended by us or as contemplated in the Terms or on the Site;
- Encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade;
- Encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers;
- Suggest or encourage any illegal activity;
- Submit content, materials or Submissions that are subject to intellectual property protection, including without limitation, copyright, trademark or patent rights, or otherwise subject to third party proprietary rights, including, without limitation, privacy and publicity rights, unless you are the owner of such rights or have permission from the owner of such rights to post said content, material or Submission and to grant us all of the license rights necessary to transit or maintain such content, material, or Submission on or through the Site;
- Transmit: (a) any content or information that infringes our or any third party’s intellectual property or other rights; (b) any material, non-public information about companies without the express authorization to do so; (c) any trade secret of any third party; or (d) any advertisements, solicitations, chain letters, pyramid schemes, junk mail, SPAM, investment opportunities or other unsolicited or unauthorized commercial or promotional content, materials, SPAM or communication (except as otherwise expressly permitted in writing by us);
- Institute an attack upon any server used in connection with the Site or any portion thereof or otherwise attempt to disrupts such servers, including by hacking into such servers or any applications hosted thereon;
- Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Site, including but not limited to by disrupting the flow of Forums with vulgar or obscene language, abusiveness, hitting the return key repeatedly, inputting excessively large images so the screen goes by too fast to read, use of excessive SHOUTING (all capital letters) in an attempt to disturb other users, "spamming," or "flooding" (continuous posting repetitive text);
- Use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site or Forums for any purpose without Company’s express prior written permission;
- Transmit any software or other materials that contain any viruses, worms, trojan horses, defects, date bombs, time bombs or other items of a destructive nature;
- Modify, adapt, sublicense, translate, sell, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble all or any portion of the Site or Materials;
- "Frame" or "mirror" any part of the Site without our prior written authorization;
- Transmit, post or otherwise make available any material or Submissions regarding hacking, cracking, exploiting, or otherwise making use of the Site or the Materials in any manner;
- Attempt to obtain passwords, other account information, or any other private information from any other user of any of the Websites, including, without limitation, the collection personal information about others, including email addresses or geo-locations;
- Harvest or collect information about users of the Site without their express consent; or
- Assist or permit any persons in engaging in any of the activities described in this listing.
This site is provided as a service for the members of Northern Virginia Technology Council. Northern Virginia Technology Council is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others.
Except as otherwise provided herein, you may not use, download, upload, copy, print, display, perform, reproduce, publish, modify, delete, add to, license, post, transmit, or distribute any Materials from this Site in whole or in part, for any public or commercial purpose without our prior specific written permission. In turn, you grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use any content you post on the Site for any purpose, subject to the express terms of this Agreement.
Our Proprietary Rights
As between you and Northern Virginia Technology Council, (or other company whose marks appear on the Site), Northern Virginia Technology Council (or the respective company) is the owner and/or authorized user of any trademark, registered trademark and/or service mark appearing on the Site, and is the copyright owner or licensee of the Content and/or information on the Site, unless otherwise indicated.
Except as otherwise provided herein, use of the Site does not grant you a license to any content, features or materials you may access on the Site and you may not modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works of such content, features or materials, in whole or in part. Any commercial use of the Site is strictly prohibited, except as allowed herein or otherwise approved by us. You may not download or save a copy of any of the Content or screens for any purpose except as otherwise provided by Northern Virginia Technology Council. If you make use of the Site, other than as provided herein, in doing so you may violate copyright and other laws of the United States, other countries, as well as applicable state laws and may be subject to liability for such unauthorized use. We do not grant any license or other authorization to any user of our trademarks, registered trademarks, service marks, other copyrightable material or any other intellectual property by including them on the Site.
The information on the Site including, without limitation, all site design, text, graphics, interfaces, and the selection and arrangements is protected by law including copyright law.
Product names, logos, designs, titles, words or phrases may be protected under law as the trademarks, service mark or trade names of Northern Virginia Technology Council or other entities. Such trademarks, service marks and trade names may be registered in the United States and internationally.
The Northern Virginia Technology Council logos and service names are trademarks of Northern Virginia Technology Council. Without our express prior permission, you have no license to use and you agree not to display or use those marks, logos or service names in any manner.
THIS SITE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. WE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO INFORMATION POSTED ON THIS SITE, WHETHER POSTED BY NORTHERN VIRGINIA TECHNOLOGY COUNCIL OR ANY THIRD PARTY; THIS DISCLAIMER INCLUDES, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTY FOR INFORMATION, DATA, DATA PROCESSING SERVICES OR UNINTERRUPTED ACCESS, ANY WARRANTIES CONCERNING THE AVAILABILITY, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, USEFULNESS, OR CONTENT OF INFORMATION, AND ANY WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY.
IN NO EVENT SHALL NORTHERN VIRGINIA TECHNOLOGY COUNCIL BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THE SITE OR ANY INFORMATION POSTED ON THIS SITE.
ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SITE IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL.
By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants Northern Virginia Technology Council and users of this site a worldwide, non-exclusive, sublicensable (through multiple tiers), assignable, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right to use, reproduce, distribute (through multiple tiers), create derivative works of, publicly perform, publicly display, digitally perform, make, have made, sell, offer for sale and import such submissions in any media now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to you or the provider of the submissions.
Claims of Copyright Infringement
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the "DMCA") provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes their rights under U.S. copyright law. If you believe in good faith that materials posted on the Site infringe your copyright you (or your agent) may send us a notice requesting that the material be removed or access to it blocked.
If you believe that your material has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide our copyright agent the following written information: (i) an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest; (ii) a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed upon; (iii) a description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the Site; (iv) your address, telephone number, and e-mail address; (v) a statement by you that you have a good-faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and (vi) a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner of authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf. Our copyright agent for notice of claims of copyright infringement on the Site can be reached as follows:
Copyright Agent: [EMAIL ADDRESS ]
It is often difficult to determine if your intellectual property rights have been violated or if the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) requirements have been met. We may request additional information before we remove any infringing material. If a dispute develops as to the correct owner of the rights in question, we reserve the right to remove or disable access to the allegedly infringing material pending resolution of the matter. We will terminate the accounts of users that we determine are repeat infringers.
Please note that under Section 512(f) of the Copyright Act any person who makes false claims that material or an activity is infringing may be subject to liability for damages.
Northern Virginia Technology Council does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of Northern Virginia Technology Council we will take all appropriate action.
Northern Virginia Technology Council reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
Our failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Terms shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of the Terms is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties’ intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of the Terms remain in full force and effect.
Applicable Law. You agree that the laws of the commonwealth of Virginia, excluding its conflicts-of-law rules, shall govern these Terms. Please note that your use of the Site may be subject to other local, state, national, and international laws. You agree to comply with all applicable laws in your jurisdiction.
Effective Date: June 2016
We respect your privacy. This Policy describes our collection, use and disclosure of your personal data.
Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization except as noted below.
Information We Collect
We (or our service providers acting on our behalf also collect and we retain statistical information automatically collected relating to your use of the Site. This includes, for example, information about the device you use to access the site (its IP address, unique device and network identifiers, your hardware model and operating system, your location preferences, when and how long you visit the Site and the pages and features your access.
Third party cookies and Do-Not-Track. We may allow selected third parties to place cookies through the Site to provide us with better insights into the use of the Site or user demographics or to provide relevant advertising to you. These third parties may collect information about a consumer’s online activities over time and across different websites when he or she uses our website. We may also permit third party service providers to place cookies through our Site to perform analytic or marketing functions where you are notified of them and you have consented to the usage. Cookies may also be used by 3rd party content providers such as newsfeeds. We do not control the use of such third party cookies or the resulting information and we are not responsible for any actions or policies of such third parties. We do not use technology that recognizes a "do-not-track" signal from your web browser.
This Site is not designed nor intended to be attractive to use by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect from children under the age of 13. If you are under 13 please do not submit any information to us.
How We Use the Information We Collect
Accessing Your Information and Your Choices
You can update, amend or delete your information at any time by visiting the My Profile page, or by contacting us at email@example.com or 703-904-7878.
You can choose not to receive emails from us by "unsubscribing" using the instructions in any email you receive from us. This will not stop us from sending emails about your account or your transactions with us.
You can choose to delete or block cookies by setting your browser to either reject all cookies or to allow cookies only from selected sites. If you block cookies performance of the Site may be impaired and certain features may not function at all.
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site
Our Service Providers
We may share your personal information with companies (including our affiliates) that perform services on our behalf, for example, companies that help process credit card payments. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
Government and Legal Disclosures
We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
With Our Membership
We may disclose the personal information of individuals who register for membership to other members. This includes, for example, providing a list of members’ names and contact information to all members, and providing mailing labels with mailing addresses of members to member companies (which may require payment of a fee).
With Your Authorization.
We may disclose your information if you request or authorize it or to help complete a transaction for you. For example, when you become a member you authorize us to add your information to our membership list that is available to all members; when you register for an event we share your information with the event sponsor or speakers.
To Site Visitors.
Any comments or communications that you post on the Site are available to other visitors to the Site.
Non-Personal Information. We may disclose your non-private, aggregated, or otherwise non-Personal Information, such as usage statistics, to our affiliates and third parties.
Remember the Risks Whenever You Use the Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition, other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies.
This Web site is run and maintained by The Northern Virginia Technology Council, Inc. You can reach us by mail at our postal address is: 2214 Rock Hill Road Suite 300 Herndon, VA 20170, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by telephone at 703.904.7878.